Monday, July 2, 2012

Showing Up

Yesterday morning as he prepared to leave for his sabbatical, Brad Clark preached about the importance of showing up. He told me he would be posting the sermon on his blog, so I won't say more about it here. I have thought about the importance of showing up since hearing the sermon. The spiritual discipline of practicing the presence of God is not about making God present, as if God were not already present, but about our showing up, our being present and attentive. Another term for this practice has been recollection, which I like because I think of it is as re-collecting the scattered parts of myself and recollecting that I am beloved of God. Not as often as I might like, in moments when things seem to be falling apart, I have experienced the grace of remembering who and Whose I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment